1.14.2016

like nothing at all...




Scarlett has been sick for the last three days and I've been having to enforce a "rest day" schedule on her so she'll take some time to let her body heal and get better. 

Unfortunately, even though I finally got through ALL of our laundry on Monday, with Scarlett being sick, laundry has completely taken over my week. I feel like the washing machine and/or dryer have been running nonstop since Monday morning. 

It's made me think a lot about what it means to be a stay at home mom. I had this lofty schedule planned out for this week in my head and we got through only one day before it was completely derailed by illness. And my to-do list has had to take a major backseat to keeping the laundry moving and keeping Scarlett comfortable and clean. I just never know what's coming around the next corner. And I've realized that while it's pretty tough to explain to people that work "what I do all day" (because washing dishes two to three times and picking up the same things over and over don't really sound like much), when I don't do things, that's when it's noticed. The dishes and laundry pile up, the floor doesn't get vacuumed, toys stay put wherever they've fallen, dinner gets hastily thrown together. It's nasty business.

But I've decided to give myself a pass. I'm taking advantage of this unexpected downtime to catch up on reading my book for this month's book club. I'm snuggling up on the couch and watching Enchanted and Netflix kids show marathons with Scarlett while she gets better. I'm not getting dressed unless I have to and I'm not feeling guilty about it. 

There's always next week to get back to my never ending to-do lists, right?

love & cupcakes,
elissa



No comments: