3.20.2014

the art of taking a compliment...



"You look great!"
Oh gosh... 
"Your house is awesome!"
It's such a disaster today!! 
"I love your hair!"
Good Lord, it's so dirty! 
"Your daughter is adorable."
She's a little monster, that one!

I'm terrible at taking compliments. 

It's gotten increasingly worse since Scarlett came along. She's super cute and people love to tell us that. But I feel like if I accept the compliment, it's boastful. I've started asking Scarlett to say thank you to the complimenter in part to teach her to graciously accept a compliment, but mostly because I'm so terrible at accepting compliments myself, even on her behalf.

Nick reminds me all the time that by deflecting or dismissing the compliment, it sends the message to the complimenter that their words aren't important and that I'm not really listening to them. But I have such a difficult time just saying "thank you" and leaving it at that.  

Thinking about it now, I don't think I give enough compliments, either. If I do compliment something, it's generally an item of someone's and not them themselves.  Compliments are this weird gray area for me where I'm uncomfortable getting them and apparently, uncomfortable giving them, too.

I'm going to challenge myself to be better at graciously accepting compliments and also strive to give more sincere compliments to others - especially to strangers. I think people need to hear nice things from others more often - especially if they don't know them. 

Are you good at taking and giving compliments?

love & cupcakes,
elissa




No comments: