4.02.2013

For James...


I've been a bit quiet on the blog lately. We got some horrible news that a good friend of ours had been shot in Afghanistan and had passed away a few days later in Germany. I didn't have any words then and I barely have any now. 

*Photo snagged from some news article online*

James was an awesome guy. One of my favorite people from high school and one of the most fun people I've ever known. We were trying to think of stories that we could tell about him that were "parent appropriate" and there aren't many! He was such fun to be around. 

There were coins cemented down on the front walkway to his house and he always loved when people would stop on their way to his front door and try to pick up the money. He always thought Halloween was hilarious because the coins would cause traffic jams all along the walkway while kids got all excited over finding money! 

And when we were in high school, almost every day he would walk around the quad and ask people for a quarter - just ONE quarter from each person - and he'd always end up with enough money to buy himself lunch and never have to pay anyone back because really, who wants to ask for a quarter back? Genius. 

One of my favorite memories of James was watching the movie SLC Punk with him in my bedroom at my parents' house and [SPOILER ALERT] at the end, when Heroin Bob dies, I looked over and saw through the tears in my eyes that he was a bit choked up himself. Now every time I see that movie, I think I'll end up crying extra hard. 

I never even really noticed but ever since we've lived here, we've had a picture of James hanging in our hallway. It's a shot of him in high school, hanging from the top of the doorway to the hall we all hung out in during lunch. It's certainly not the best picture, but I think it captures his spirit pretty perfectly. 


Thank you for being you James. For all of your sacrifices, all of your laughs and all of the memories you left us with. 

You owe me countless quarters and someday, 
when I get to heaven, I'm going to collect.


love & cupcakes, 
elissa




No comments: