7.17.2012

"road" ice cream diy



Rocky road has always been my favorite flavor of ice cream -- however, I'm not a big fan of the nutty bits. If they had rocky road without nuts, I'd be in heaven. So I got to thinking, why don't they? Why don't they make rocky road without the nuts?!? Why don't I make rocky road without the nuts?!?!?!?

So I did. 


I grabbed my trusty tub of chocolate ice cream, a bag of miniature marshmallows, my stand mixer with the paddle attachment and went to work!

First, dump out all of the ice cream into the bowl attachment of the stand mixer. It's best to let the tub sit for a few minutes so it slides out easily. Don't let it melt all the way though - just let it soften up a bit. 


Once the ice cream is in the bowl, add as many or as few marshmallows as you'd like. I love these little things so I went for two-thirds of a bag.


Then, get to mixing! 


I set my mixer on "stir" and let it go for about 30 seconds or so. You just want to incorporate all of the marshmallows into the ice cream - but you don't want to let it turn into a melted mess of runny ice cream with a pile of 'mallows in the middle. Just watch it stir and turn it off when everything looks good and coated. 


Once it's mixed, dump the mixture back into the empty ice cream tub and put it back in the freezer for a while. I let mine sit overnight and the next day, it was perfect!


I'd managed to take out all of the nutty bits and create my dream ice cream - 
"Road!" 
No more "rocks" for this lady!

I'm looking forward to creating my own mixed up ice cream creations all summer!

Enjoy!

love & cupcakes, 
elissa

*Edit: I made another batch and added 
mini-marshmallows, chopped up truffle bits 
and a crushed up sugar cone. 
Holy smokes! New favorite!!!!*






No comments: