7.03.2012

espresso chocolate milkshake diy



The other night I got a hankering for a milkshake and since we'd just gotten back from the store with a nice new tub of chocolate ice cream I went for it!

Now, don't get me wrong -- a plain old chocolate shake is downright heavenly, but I was thinking I needed something with a little more "zing!" I decided espresso was needed. Nick brewed up a nice fresh batch of espresso and we set it in the fridge to cool down for a while. 


In the meantime, I plopped a nice hunk of chocolate ice cream into a big mason jar -- it wasn't all for me! We were sharing!!!




Once the espresso cooled off enough [okay, okay - so it was room temperature. I've never been super patient - especially when it comes to chocolate and coffee!], I just dumped the whole thing into the mason jar and started mixing. 


So, you could probably just use a blender for the mixing, but I don't know where ours is at the moment and it doesn't even have a lid. So a wooden spoon worked just fine for me. 

Once the espresso and ice cream have mixed up thoroughly, add a straw and voila! Super yummy caffeinated milkshake! Just don't let the kids near this one!


Feel free to add milk if you like a smoother shake. You could add whipped cream and toppings for a more fun presentation or even use syrups or flavorings to make a flavored mocha shake -- pumpkin spice or peppermint anyone???

Happy shaking!

love & cupcakes, 
elissa






No comments: