10.26.2011

a little makeover...

Nick's grandma had this awesome mirror in storage that she let us have - it just needed a bit of a makeover in my opinion. 


First, I had to clean it up a bit - having spent forever in a dusty outdoor garage/storage space, it got a bunch of dust and dirt into the nooks and crannies of the frame. 



Once I gave it a nice dusting and wipe down, I was ready to separate the mirror from the frame. I just turned it over and unscrewed the back and the frame and mirror were apart for what looked like it could've been the first time ever! 




After I had the frame by itself, I took it outside to a newspaper covered table to be spray painted. I used Valspar in a glossy black to give it a shiny appearance and gave it two coats [leaving 5-10 minutes of drying time in between coats]. 



After the second coat it was all I could do to leave it alone for the hour or so that it takes to be dry to the touch [and I actually couldn't leave it alone the entire time - I ended up with a few wet black splotches on my hands. Oh well!]. 





Once the paint had dried enough, I took the frame inside and put it on a newspaper covered counter to screw the mirror back on it. Then, I just had to hang it back up on the wall above our fireplace and enjoy our "new" mirror!



I love it!

Now, what else can I spray paint...?

love & cupcakes, 
elissa <3

No comments: